Lakeland Montessori Schools’ Governing Board is a collection of parents, educators, and community members that are committed to developing, implementing and continuing a long-term authentic educational Montessori choice option in Polk County. Each member brings individual abilities and skills to aid in the continued development of our school.
The main concern in selecting members is to ensure that the group consists of not only of educators and parents, but a well-rounded array of experts who can collaborate to support authentic public Montessori education in our community. These expertise fields include such areas as law, education, real estate, international marketing, former experience on a board, economics and the ability to communicate our vision well to the community.
Lakeland Montessori Schools’
Nancye Blair Black, Board Member & Secretary
- Educational Consultant, Impactful Educational Consulting & Professional Development, Lakeland, FL
- Former Teacher, Technology & Gifted Specialist, The Schools of McKeel Academy, Lakeland, FL
- State of Florida Teaching Certificate, Middle Grades Mathematics 5-9, Pre-K/Primary PK-3, Elementary Education K-6, Endorsement: Gifted Education K-12
- ISTE Emerging Leader Award, International Society for Technology in Education
- PBS Teachers Innovation Award, PBS
- Teacher of the Year, Polk County Association of Charter Schools
- Teacher of the Year, The Schools of McKeel Academy
- Master of Arts degree in Computing in Education at Columbia University, Teachers College
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Philosophy and Religious Studies from Florida Southern College, Lakeland, FL
- Parent of Lakeland Montessori Middle alumnae that is currently attending Harrison School of the Arts
Terry Coney, Board Member
- Retired Lieutenant Colonel, United States Air Force, 22 years served
- Masters of Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics from Florida A & M University, Tallahassee
- Current member and Chairman of the Education Committee, NAACP Lakeland, FL chapter
- Past President and member, Durham Public Schools Scholarship Foundation, Durham, NC
- Past member of the North Carolina state advisory board for Mathematics and Science education
- Mentor for the Hayti Heritage Center, Rites of Passage program for teenage boys, Durham, NC
- Projects Leader, Brotherhood Ministry, First Baptist Institutional Church
Lori DeAngelis, Board Member & President
- Attorney, Publix Super Markets, Lakeland, FL
- Juris Doctor, Western New England College, School of Law
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology from the University of Connecticut
- Parent of Lakeland Montessori student children currently Lakeland Montessori Middle and an alumnus currently attending Harrison School of the Arts
Nicole Lewandowski Marsh, Board Member
- Training Developer/Technical Writer, Publix Super Markets, Lakeland, FL
- Bachelor of Science degree in Marketing and Multinational Business from Florida State University.
- President’s Award, Downtown Lakeland Kiwanis Club
- Creation of an ongoing K-Kids Kiwanis group at Lakeland Montessori six years ago. A key partner in facilitating Lakeland Montessori student community involvement and service learning projects
- Parent of two children currently attending Lakeland Montessori
Susan Truett, Board Member & Vice-President
- Founding board member of Lakeland Montessori Middle
- Psychotherapist/Co-Owner of Relationship Builders, Lakeland, FL
- Master of Arts degree in Counselor Education from University of South Florida
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology from University of South Florida
- Parent of Lakeland Montessori alumnae. Ms. Truett’s daughter attended Lakeland Montessori schools for 11 years – from its very first day of opening when she was 3 all the way through eighth grade. She is now a high school student at Polk State Collegiate High School.
Tim Seldin, Former Board Member, continued friend and advisor to the school
- Head of School, The NewGate-Field School, Sarasota, FL
- Former Headmaster at The Barrie School of Maryland for 25 years
- Chair, International Montessori Council
- President, The Center for Guided Montessori Studies
- President and Senior Consultant, The Montessori Foundation
- Author, The Montessori Way
- Master of Education degree in Educational Administration & Curriculum Development from American University, Washington D.C.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in History from Georgetown University, Washington D.C.