Secondary Program (Middle School)
Our Secondary (grades 7 and 8) Environment
The Secondary program expands on the skills introduced in the Upper Elementary program by including:
- Increased cooperative learning experiences
- A computer for every student
- Greater choice of topic and approach through integrated cycles of learning
- Social and leadership skills
- Service-learning projects
- Multi-night overnight and extended-day intersession (field) trips integrated into cycles of learning
- Student-run business and micro-economy
- Student-led conferences
- Focus on mastery of content, not grades
Courses of Academic Study
The Secondary program courses of study reflect an integration of the Florida BEST Standards, Common Core Standards, Next Generation Sunshine State standards, the newest research on the developmental needs of adolescents, Montessori philosophy, current learning theory, and the predictions of the skills needed for a productive life in the twenty-first century.
Students at Lakeland Montessori Middle School will receive instruction in the following subjects: Mathematics, Language Arts, Science, Social Studies, Research, Speech-Debate, Critical Thinking, Problem-Solving and Learning Strategies, Career Exploration and Decision Making, Service-Learning, and Physical Fitness/Health. FAST (Florida Assessment of Student Achievement Test)/Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT 2.0) Science scores and previous academic performance may be used as a general guideline for placement in Advanced courses.
All students are taught together using thematic Cycles of Learning. Over the course of two years, students will be presented with the full scope and sequence of the Secondary curriculum.
In the Field Magazine article about Student Business